AT Video Guidelines
Westmont College Academic Technology (AT) is not a film or cinematography department. We do however, provide basic professional level video recording services for Westmont College lectures, concerts and events. For events that involve varying light and sound cues or multiple actors and key individuals, we usually recommend that departments contract with professional video companies. For simple lectures and events where there is generally one speaker or main focus, the recordings we make are edited and published to Westmont iTunes U and YouTube public pages. These quality recordings support the mission of Westmont College and are integral in communicating the narrative of the rich academic and community life at Westmont College.
ATT Event Guidelines:
- Verify that the presenter(s) will give consent to have their lecture or event published. Speaker release forms should be submitted in advance, but initial verbal or written consent is required to schedule our services.
- Submit your request online at eo.westmont.edu - Please enter the actual start time of event and use comments field to tell us any speaker details you feel are pertinent.
- An ATT staff member will contact you to clarify your request and make sure we have all the information we need to help this part of your event be a success.
- In general we will just record the lecture or main part of the event and not the standard Q & A period
- Please submit your request at least TWO Weeks in advance.
- Recordings are published within one week to our Westmont College iTunes U and YouTube public pages.
- For events that are more complex than a lecturer speaking from a lectern, please contact us early in your planning process (2 months in advance). In some cases, with enough prior planning, we are able to find creative ways to capture your event. Varying light cues (theater or concert events) or events that have multiple folks speaking may require us to recommend that a professional video company be contacted to take care of the recording for you.
- See our collection on Westmont on iTunes U page
- If your recording request is not for publishing, we will not send the video team, but rather will check out simple video recording gear to you for you to capture your own high quality video and upload to your computer and use locally for educational or departmental purposes. Sometimes this request is to provide access to the lecture or event for someone who could not attend. For these types of events, we will help you set this up to fit your needs.
ATT Video Recording Guidelines:
Please let us know the following no later than ONE week prior to event:
- Will presenter walk around during lecture or event or speak from a podium?
- Does presenter have a PowerPoint or Keynote presentation?
- Please send us a copy of the slides if you would like us to consider including them in the recording
- Will presenter bring his or her own laptop? Mac or PC?
- Does presenter need to use audio with their projected presentation?
Important Things to Consider for Best
Practices Video Recordings:
- The video recording of a lecture or event broadens the audience beyond the event room so presenters are encouraged to look at the camera multiple times during the event to include that audience as well as those in the room.
- We understand that the lecture or event is not a scripted film shoot, but it is suggested that presenters be prepared to take some directions from ATT staff on where to stand and how to move in the room to take advantage of lighting and camera angles.
- When questions or comments are voiced from the audience during a lecture or event, it is helpful for the presenter to repeat or paraphrase the comment before responding. This is important for the local audience as well as those who will watch the video.
- We appreciate the preparation that presenters have put into their presentation to convey significant concepts and ideas to the Westmont College community. The guidelines stated here reflect our commitment to accurately and effectively capture the lecture or event and to present it in the best possible way. The extra details required for a best practices video recording, while adding to the responsibilities of the presenter, will greatly enhance the communication of the presented narrative.
- Westmont College publishes the videos of lectures and events to share the academic and faith narrative of the college and advance the access to our growing library of educational recordings.
- Speakers release form Please have speaker sign and submit digital or hard copy to Academic Technology department office. You can download this release form below to present to presenter for permission to record.